Teach Your Kids About the Love of God
One of the most well-known Bible verses is John 3:16. You can probably recite it by heart:
“For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life. (ESV)
Take time this month to share John 3:16 with your kids. Talk about the many ways God shows His love all around the world.
Here are a few ideas to get your conversation started:
1. Learn how to say “God loves you” in a different language. Find someone who speaks one of these languages and say it to them:
- Czech: Bůh tě miluje
- Dutch: God houdt van je
- Filipino: Diyos loves mo
- French: Dieu t’aime
- German: Gott liebt dich
- Maltese: Alla tkunu tistghu
- Portuguese: Deus ama você
- Russian: Бог любит вас (bog lyubit vas)
- Spanish: Dios te ama
- Swedish: Gud älskar dig
- Turkish: Tanrı sizi seviyor
- Welsh: Duw caru chi
2. Visit awanainternational.org to discover over 100 countries using Awana Clubs to reach kids with the gospel. You’ll find engaging videos and information on how your family or church can get involved.
3. February is Awana Missions Month. Your family can help change the ending for kids across the world who need Christ. Ask your Awana commander how your church’s Awana ministry can raise funds to support Awana overseas. The site offers a variety of fundraising ideas, promotional materials and games to involve kids all month.
4. Share God’s love as a family in a tangible way. Here are just a few ideas:
- Shovel snow for an elderly neighbor without receiving anything in return.
- Make cookies or crafts and distribute them to nursing home residents for Valentine’s Day.
- Invite non-churched friends to church with you.
- Call or connect via Skype or FaceTime with a grandparent or another relative your family rarely gets to visit.
5. Watch The Love of God video. Using beautiful images, the song describes the limitless love of God. Here are the lyrics:
The Love of God
The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell
It goes beyond the highest star
And reaches to the lowest hell
The guilty pair, bowed down with care
God gave His Son to win
His erring child He reconciled
And pardoned from his sin
Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky
O love of God, how rich and pure
How measureless and strong
It shall forevermore endure
The saints’ and angels’ song
May you and your kids never forget how much God loves you!
This entry was posted on Friday, February 1st, 2013 at 11:53 am and is filed under Discipleship, Love of God, Valentine's Day. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.