8 Ways Your Family Can Serve Others During the Holidays
With Christmas quickly approaching, you’re busy making lists and shopping for gifts. Hopefully, you’re also thinking of meaningful ways your family can serve others and share God’s love in real, hands-on experiences.
Not only does serving as a family develop deeper bonds, it also provides powerful spiritual teaching moments. As 1 John 3:18 says, Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
Serving gives your family a chance to put faith into action. It’s a time to show your kids how to practically express the love of Christ to those in need.
Author and blogger Susan Mathis writes about sharing the fruit of the Holy Spirit that God has instilled in each Christian:
- Showing love to the unlovely
- Passing on God’s joy to the brokenhearted
- Imparting peace to those in turmoil
- Modeling patience in frustrating situations
- Demonstrating kindness to everyone you meet
- Revealing God’s goodness in thought and deed
- Walking in faithfulness every day
- Living with gentleness and self-control in every situation, even when we have to confront wrongdoing or hurt.
Don’t let the holidays pass by without serving together as a family. Perhaps these ideas can help you improve your family’s serve:
- Visit a nursing home and share the message of Christmas with the elderly.
- Stock a food pantry in your community.
- If possible, help distribute meals as a family.
- Adopt a needy child or family through your community or church outreach ministry. Provide for any physical needs they have as best you can. Pray for their salvation and spiritual growth throughout the year.
- Shovel snow from a neighbor’s driveway. Make sure your kids don’t expect payment.
- Bake cookies for a neighbor. Extend kindness to someone who might be struggling or experiencing a difficult holiday season.
- Volunteer as a family at church. Help during the Christmas services and support the pastor and staff in reaching out to any visiting families.
- Participate in church or community collections. Partner with your church or community during any food or clothing drives. Offer to sort donations or help distribute items to those in need.
How will your family serve others during the holidays?
This entry was posted on Thursday, November 29th, 2012 at 11:54 am and is filed under Celebrating Family, Christmas, Serving. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.